CSL
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» New Forum.
by Stockton12 (UTA) Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:41 pm

» Ready, Set, Go!
by Dennis (BOS) Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:59 am

» HOUSTON ROCKETS TRADE BLOCK
by WillyJakkz (ORL) Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:42 am

» Mike D'antoni
by WillyJakkz (ORL) Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:35 am

» Magic Fire
by WillyJakkz (ORL) Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:32 am

» Chicago Bulls TB
by Marcos_Beck (CHI) Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:27 am

» Chicago Sign
by Marcos_Beck (CHI) Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:47 am

» T.R. Dunn (10 characters)
by Jestor (LAL) Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:46 am

» Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
by Jestor (LAL) Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:43 am

A Very Early Look At Free Agent Point Guards

+8
LakeshowAK7 (OKC)
Jake0890 (WAS)
emplep7 (DET)
Dennis (BOS)
Higrade (LAC)
WillyJakkz (ORL)
Marcos_Beck (CHI)
Jestor (LAL)
12 posters

Go down

A Very Early Look At Free Agent Point Guards Empty A Very Early Look At Free Agent Point Guards

Post by Jestor (LAL) Fri May 09, 2014 3:05 pm

Can Floor General Thirsty Teams Find Their Man In FA?
A Very Early Look At Free Agent Point Guards 120928-RickyRubio4_zps371ee7c1
Despite Ricky Rubio's extension, it could still be a strong point guard FA class

Hearts everywhere broke when Spanish point guard Ricky Rubio inked a max-level extension with the New York Knicks. In a league where elite-level floor generals are unicorn-rare, Rubio projected to be one of the top free agent point guards of the summer. But all is not lost for 1 starved franchises - indeed, although there's still a long way to go in the extension period, this could be the most exciting and richest classes in years for those teams hunting for the right one to run their offense.

Note: This will be limited to players who are playing primarily point guard for their teams - hence Brandon Knight, although worthy of inclusion, will not be listed since he's the SG for the Pistons

A Very Early Look At Free Agent Point Guards Kemba_Walker_Bobcats_2014_USAT3_zps4a99b3fa
Kemba Walker - Oklahoma City Thunder (25 next season)
Dogged ever since he came into the league for his poor shooting accuracy, Kemba Walker is having a breakout season - 47.7% with Atlanta, and he looked sharp from the floor in his Thunder debut as well. It's made his 19.4 points per game that much more efficient and deadly, and he's carrying an acceptable 2.2 A/TO ratio. But Walker's biggest calling card has traditionally been his defense, and he's holding up there as well, stopping 84.1% of drives with a 0.9 PA/SF ratio and 2.1 TOFC. If he can be the savior of an OKC franchise that has looked completely mired in mediocrity since their ill-fated Lebron James trade, expect to see him get a lot of calls in the offseason.

A Very Early Look At Free Agent Point Guards Rajonrondo1_zps8980b07d
Rajon Rondo - Brooklyn Nets (29 next season)
Yes, Rajon Rondo's shooting is uglier than the chick grenade you throw yourself on top of so your bro can take the hot girl home at the end of the night, but his 3.5 A/TO ratio is positively orgasmic, and few are as ruthless as he is on the defensive end - 96.8% drives topped, 0.9 PA/SF, and a jaw-dropping 3.5 TOFC. For those teams who have the scorers to contain Rondo's shooting, he can be the nasty defensive floor general who really elevates the squad to the next level.

A Very Early Look At Free Agent Point Guards Kyrie-irving1_zps9d1a3736
Kyrie Irving - Cleveland Cavaliers (23 next season)
He still turns the ball over far too much (3.9 per game - #5 in the league), but Kyrie Irving is arguably the most explosive point guard due to hit the market this summer. His 21.7 points per game doesn't match last season's 27.4 point magnificence, but he's still a solid all-around shooter with underrated defensive ability - 73.5% drives stopped, 1.8 TOFC, and an absolutely pristine 0.8 PA/SF. For teams looking for excitement and a player to build around, Irving's a strong candidate.

A Very Early Look At Free Agent Point Guards 1202015_jeremy_lin_reuters_328_zps7bc2dcf8
Jeremy Lin - Minnesota Timberwolves (27 next season)
Purely by the numbers, Linsanity's 16.5 points, 5.2 assists, 4.5 rebounds and 1.7 steals on 45.5% shooting might elicit a meh compared to some of the rest of this crop. His 2.0 A/TO ratio is likewise ordinary, but unlike everyone but Rondo profiled so far, he's a URFA. He also spearheaded two Knicks' playoff appearances and is one of the most underrated defensive point guards in the league - 85.7% drive stop rate, 2.4 TOFC, and an obscene 0.7 PA/SF. That's elite defense no matter how you slice it.

A Very Early Look At Free Agent Point Guards ProfileMug_zpsafd60e9b
John Wall - Washington Wizards (25 next season
The single biggest fish of them all. URFA? Check. 27.2 points, 6.8 assists, 4.6 rebounds, 2 steals, 1.7 blocks on 49% shooting, 37% from 3 point range? Check all the things! 3.2 A/TO ratio? Yep, that's there too. What about his defense? Is that streets elite too? 96.1% drive stop rate, 2.8 TOFC, and 0.7 PA/SF all scream yes. Throw in the fact that the Wizards are also 13-6 and the 28.4 PER tied for 8th in the league with Marcus Smart and Anthony Davis, and you have a 25 year old MVP candidate in John Wall. From the very second the bell dings, teams will come pouring in with max offers if he finds himself available this summer.
Jestor (LAL)
Jestor (LAL)

Back to top Go down

A Very Early Look At Free Agent Point Guards Empty Re: A Very Early Look At Free Agent Point Guards

Post by Marcos_Beck (CHI) Fri May 09, 2014 3:36 pm

Pretty strong class, but I don't expect them to move, specially the restricted FAs.
Marcos_Beck (CHI)
Marcos_Beck (CHI)

Back to top Go down

A Very Early Look At Free Agent Point Guards Empty Re: A Very Early Look At Free Agent Point Guards

Post by WillyJakkz (ORL) Fri May 09, 2014 3:50 pm

Marcos_Beck (OKC) wrote:Pretty strong class, but I don't expect them to move, specially the restricted FAs.

I think you're missing the point of the article my friend...

This is his way of saying "watch out for your PG's" as he missed out on Isaiah Thomas last season who also was a RFA, his Phoenix team is in need and wanting a PG in the worst way and he is making it a point to point this out.
WillyJakkz (ORL)
WillyJakkz (ORL)

Back to top Go down

Post by Higrade (LAC) Fri May 09, 2014 4:00 pm

I would imagine they all sign in-season extensions.
Higrade (LAC)
Higrade (LAC)

Back to top Go down

Post by Jestor (LAL) Fri May 09, 2014 4:05 pm

Depends on if their teams are willing to commit to max-level extensions, other than perhaps Rondo.

Irving? Max.
Wall? So max it hurts.
Kemba and Lin are the most interesting players - neither one is worth the max, but I could see teams with a need at PG and cap pulling the trigger, so it's something to consider.

Of this group, Lin and Rondo are the most likely to move.
Jestor (LAL)
Jestor (LAL)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis (BOS) Fri May 09, 2014 4:10 pm

Boston Bringing home rondo?
Dennis (BOS)
Dennis (BOS)

Back to top Go down

Post by emplep7 (DET) Fri May 09, 2014 4:17 pm

Some good options for teams with a lot of cap to work with. No doubt Washington will put all their efforts to making sure they re-sign Wall.
emplep7 (DET)
emplep7 (DET)

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake0890 (WAS) Fri May 09, 2014 4:46 pm

I'm assuming Washington isn't offering Wall a max extension or he would've signed already.

No one is ever going to give Lin or Kemba a max, c'mon now.

I would count on all of these guys signing in season.
Jake0890 (WAS)
Jake0890 (WAS)

Back to top Go down

Post by LakeshowAK7 (OKC) Fri May 09, 2014 4:49 pm

The deadline to sign these guys is fast approaching. The GM's better get on the horn or they might be losing their stud PG!
LakeshowAK7 (OKC)
LakeshowAK7 (OKC)

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake0890 (WAS) Fri May 09, 2014 4:50 pm

LakeshowAK7 (LAL) wrote:The deadline to sign these guys is fast approaching.  The GM's better get on the horn or they might be losing their stud PG!

When is the deadline?
Jake0890 (WAS)
Jake0890 (WAS)

Back to top Go down

Post by andrei (MEM) Fri May 09, 2014 5:06 pm

Wall and Irving are max players no doubt. I'm sure at least one among Lin, Rondo and Walker could come close to max in a FA bidding war... better resign them now if you can or else PHX will be coming after them
andrei (MEM)
andrei (MEM)

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyJakkz (ORL) Fri May 09, 2014 6:36 pm

Just realized Tony Parker although older isn't on the list, he's playing pretty well.
WillyJakkz (ORL)
WillyJakkz (ORL)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rizzo (NY) Fri May 09, 2014 7:36 pm

Jake0890 (MIN) wrote:I'm assuming Washington isn't offering Wall a max extension or he would've signed already.

Exactly what I was thinking. No reason for him not to be signed to an extension by now.
Rizzo (NY)
Rizzo (NY)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sun Scorched (NOP) Fri May 09, 2014 7:39 pm

Rizzo (NO) wrote:
Jake0890 (MIN) wrote:I'm assuming Washington isn't offering Wall a max extension or he would've signed already.

Exactly what I was thinking. No reason for him not to be signed to an extension by now.

Interesting thing about Wall, is that he can simply pick up his QO, which is roughly $12m, and become a UFA the following offseason. If WAS jerks him around, wouldn't surprise me.
Sun Scorched (NOP)
Sun Scorched (NOP)

Back to top Go down

Post by Querejeta (WAS) Fri May 09, 2014 7:58 pm

Sun Scorched (CHA) wrote:Interesting thing about Wall, is that he can simply pick up his QO, which is roughly $12m, and become a UFA the following offseason.  If WAS jerks him around, wouldn't surprise me.

You all can go on making you own supositions... hehehehe but probably all are wrong
Querejeta (WAS)
Querejeta (WAS)

https://csleague.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcos_Beck (CHI) Fri May 09, 2014 8:45 pm

andrei (POR) wrote:Wall and Irving are max players no doubt. I'm sure at least one among Lin, Rondo and Walker could come close to max in a FA bidding war... better resign them now if you can or else PHX will be coming after them

I'd say Rondo will get the most lucrative deal of the 3. Rondo is one of the best defensive PGs in the league and his ability to be a floor general is remarkable. Of the starting PGs, outside of CP3 and Rubio, no one runs a team better than him. He is just too damn valuable.

Kemba and Lin are nice players but scoring guards nowadays come and go easily. 20PPG is no easy, though, add good defense to it and you have a very respectable starting PG. But no max deal worthy. I think if someone goes desperation mode and offer any of those 2 max deals (IF they don't get extensions) they're out of ring contention. No way a young team can survive by paying those players max money.
Marcos_Beck (CHI)
Marcos_Beck (CHI)

Back to top Go down

Post by Jestor (LAL) Fri May 09, 2014 10:44 pm

Sun Scorched (CHA) wrote:
Rizzo (NO) wrote:

Interesting thing about Wall, is that he can simply pick up his QO, which is roughly $12m, and become a UFA the following offseason.  If WAS jerks him around, wouldn't surprise me.

He doesn't have a QO. He's in his 5th season, so he's a UFA this year.
Jestor (LAL)
Jestor (LAL)

Back to top Go down

Post by Jestor (LAL) Fri May 09, 2014 10:45 pm

WillyJakkz (HOU) wrote:Just realized  Tony Parker although older isn't on the list, he's playing pretty well.

Problem is he turns 33 next season, so he's probably going to be hit with offseason ratings decreases. How many/how much may drop him considerably in value.
Jestor (LAL)
Jestor (LAL)

Back to top Go down

Post by Jestor (LAL) Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:35 am

Jake0890 (MIN) wrote:
No one is ever going to give Lin or Kemba a max, c'mon now.

So... yeah.... about that Kemba no max thing... Very Happy
Jestor (LAL)
Jestor (LAL)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down