CSL
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» New Forum.
by Stockton12 (UTA) Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:41 pm

» Ready, Set, Go!
by Dennis (BOS) Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:59 am

» HOUSTON ROCKETS TRADE BLOCK
by WillyJakkz (ORL) Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:42 am

» Mike D'antoni
by WillyJakkz (ORL) Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:35 am

» Magic Fire
by WillyJakkz (ORL) Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:32 am

» Chicago Bulls TB
by Marcos_Beck (CHI) Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:27 am

» Chicago Sign
by Marcos_Beck (CHI) Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:47 am

» T.R. Dunn (10 characters)
by Jestor (LAL) Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:46 am

» Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
by Jestor (LAL) Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:43 am

Picking Teams

+22
goikiri (IND)
Dylan (BKN)
WillyJakkz (ORL)
rh0xxy (MIN)
Jestor (LAL)
Higrade (LAC)
bestnamezRtaken (POR)
Jamal (CHA)
Stockton12 (UTA)
Querejeta (WAS)
dapralbe (ATL)
BizGilwalker (HOU)
RobIII(GSW)
LakeshowAK7 (OKC)
andrei (MEM)
bt (SAC)
Jake0890 (WAS)
Dennis (BOS)
Cyrisnyte (SAS)
GreenBear (PHX)
Marcos_Beck (CHI)
Myles (SAS)
26 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Picking Teams Empty Picking Teams

Post by Myles (SAS) Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:44 pm

So there's been quite a few ideas floated around as to how we should pick teams. I'm going to lay out a few of the possibilities discussed already, and you all can discuss here what you think. For the record, we won't be doing a full-blown fantasy draft (where people get to make their own picks) because it just takes so long.

1. People can submit lists for top 5 teams they want, and then we try and decide fairly who gets which teams. It's possible we have some GMs that get stuck without a team after all of that because some teams just won't be picked in a GMs top 5, so I'm not sure how we'll address that other than those GMs just getting their pick of whatever's left. We'll also allow a few days after for GMs to swap teams if they like.

2. GM draft, where we randomize the order of where GMs get to pick, and then people get to just pick their team one at a time. This will go the fastest and simplest, but will definitely screw some GMs over.

3. Random fantasy draft, where GMs pick their team ahead of time and then find out which players are on their roster. Probably the fairest overall, but also has the highest probability of GMs becoming detached and being blindsided by their possibly poorly put together team.

We won't be doing first come first serve either, just too many issues with that.

What do you guys think?
Myles (SAS)
Myles (SAS)

Back to top Go down

Picking Teams Empty Re: Picking Teams

Post by Marcos_Beck (CHI) Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:59 pm

For me it's number one all the way. We'll know how to handle situations regarding 3 or 4 GMs that wants the same team. And it's at least a possibility to every GM to pick up a team which he likes.
Marcos_Beck (CHI)
Marcos_Beck (CHI)

Back to top Go down

Post by GreenBear (PHX) Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:59 pm

I like #3 the best because it seems the fairest. It is a crapshoot, but so is #2 if you're one of the GMs that picks last, and same with #1 if you don't get one of your top 5.

That being said, I'm more than okay with whatever solution is picked. Honestly, I just want to start playing again.
GreenBear (PHX)
GreenBear (PHX)

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyrisnyte (SAS) Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:00 pm

So my opinion is, option #2.

#1 - Someone is going to feel they were "screwed" because they didn't get the team they wanted over someone else. Sure, each selection is going to make it tough on some GMs but in my opinion, this one has the most "blame" tied with it.

#3 - While I do think this is the fairest, I also think as you mentioned, someone is going to drop out fast (if not a few). They will end up with a player or contract they don't like and just call it quits.

#2 - To me, this is pure lottery style random luck. Not a single person can really complain. I mean they can but it takes out the human interference element. You get the first pick, sure maybe you take Miami or OKC, but I can tell you I wouldn't take those teams. I think this will give each owner the ability to have a better chance at picking a team they like. Will selecting 25-30 have a disadvantage? Sure it will but at least it was like a lottery.

Just my thoughts.
Cyrisnyte (SAS)
Cyrisnyte (SAS)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis (BOS) Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:01 pm

Option 1. though I hate changing franchises. Celtics as option 1-5 with I dont know which team else as #6-#9 ^^..
Or #2 please no Fantasy draft.

Last edited by Dennis (BOS) on Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dennis (BOS)
Dennis (BOS)

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake0890 (WAS) Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:02 pm

Dylan brought up #1 in the other thread and I think its clearly the best idea. No drawn out draft, its quick, easy, and fair. Everyone will get one of their 5 teams they suggested.
Jake0890 (WAS)
Jake0890 (WAS)

Back to top Go down

Post by bt (SAC) Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:02 pm

Am fine either way but 1 followed by 3 for me if I had to choose. I like the challenge of dealing with whatever I get.
bt (SAC)
bt (SAC)

Back to top Go down

Post by GreenBear (PHX) Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:06 pm

I don't get why people would quit if they get stuck with a player or contract they don't like. So what if your team is bad? It may take a few seasons, and you may have to build through the draft, but that makes it that much more fun for me. I don't want a stacked team like the heat, clippers or thunder to start off. Where's the challenge in that?

No team is going to be without hope. Heck even my Grizzlies (as bad as the roster is) had presumably 2 top 5 draft choices. It's just fun to play the game and build a roster you want.
GreenBear (PHX)
GreenBear (PHX)

Back to top Go down

Post by andrei (MEM) Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:08 pm

3 is my preference but I know you can get demotivated if AI selects crap players/contracts. Letting AI decide may not be ideal.
So happy to go with 1.
andrei (MEM)
andrei (MEM)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis (BOS) Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:09 pm

GreenBear (MEM) wrote:I don't get why people would quit if they get stuck with a player or contract they don't like. So what if your team is bad? It may take a few seasons, and you may have to build through the draft, but that makes it that much more fun for me. I don't want a stacked team like the heat, clippers or thunder to start off. Where's the challenge in that?

No team is going to be without hope. Heck even my Grizzlies (as bad as the roster is) had presumably 2 top 5 draft choices. It's just fun to play the game and build a roster you want.

Would take every team ahead of a random team.
Look at tims League for example. Died within a season.
Dennis (BOS)
Dennis (BOS)

Back to top Go down

Post by bt (SAC) Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:10 pm

bt (TOR) wrote:Am fine either way but 1 followed by 3 for me if I had to choose. I like the challenge of dealing with whatever I get.

Just to clarify, I meant 1 add in team selection only and 3 for player allocation. Greenbear echoed my thoughts.
bt (SAC)
bt (SAC)

Back to top Go down

Post by LakeshowAK7 (OKC) Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:14 pm

I'm happy with anything but the random fantasy draft - just simply because there's a fair chance a team or two is absolutely loaded. That would suck for league parity.
LakeshowAK7 (OKC)
LakeshowAK7 (OKC)

Back to top Go down

Post by RobIII(GSW) Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:17 pm

I like option 1 the best. Seems like the fairest
RobIII(GSW)
RobIII(GSW)

Back to top Go down

Post by BizGilwalker (HOU) Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:20 pm

#1 all the way for me.

#2 is "meh".

#3 has the potential to be really interesting, or completely horrible.
BizGilwalker (HOU)
BizGilwalker (HOU)

Back to top Go down

Post by GreenBear (PHX) Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:39 pm

LakeshowAK7 (LAL) wrote:I'm happy with anything but the random fantasy draft - just simply because there's a fair chance a team or two is absolutely loaded.  That would suck for league parity.

That reasoning makes no sense to me. There isn't going to be league parity with options 1 and 2 either.
GreenBear (PHX)
GreenBear (PHX)

Back to top Go down

Post by LakeshowAK7 (OKC) Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:47 pm

GreenBear (MEM) wrote:
LakeshowAK7 (LAL) wrote:I'm happy with anything but the random fantasy draft - just simply because there's a fair chance a team or two is absolutely loaded.  That would suck for league parity.

That reasoning makes no sense to me. There isn't going to be league parity with options 1 and 2 either.

Team 1 randomly gets:

Kevin Durant
Paul George
Chris Bosh
4 x good bench players
3 x good rotation players
2 x bad contracts

Team 2 randomly gets:

Joe Johnson
Channing Frye
Jameer Nelson
Aaron Gray
couple other bad contracts
couple more scrub players

I've seen it happen before in sim leagues and those leagues typically do not last. There is always at least one super team, followed by a ton of scrub teams who are forced to do the slow rebuild due to bad contracts, bad players.
LakeshowAK7 (OKC)
LakeshowAK7 (OKC)

Back to top Go down

Post by dapralbe (ATL) Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:56 pm

seeing the possibilities are perhaps the best options 1 and 3, a draft one by one would be too long, I would give me any Ramdon same team but I understand that you can play a good team impossible. Unify , so 1 and then 3
dapralbe (ATL)
dapralbe (ATL)

Back to top Go down

Post by GreenBear (PHX) Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:03 pm

LakeshowAK7 (LAL) wrote:
GreenBear (MEM) wrote:

Team 1 randomly gets:

Kevin Durant
Paul George
Chris Bosh
4 x good bench players
3 x good rotation players
2 x bad contracts

Team 2 randomly gets:

Joe Johnson
Channing Frye
Jameer Nelson
Aaron Gray
couple other bad contracts
couple more scrub players

I've seen it happen before in sim leagues and those leagues typically do not last.  There is always at least one super team, followed by a ton of scrub teams who are forced to do the slow rebuild due to bad contracts, bad players.

If that were a possibility, then there is something seriously wrong with the drafting engines. Players like Durant, Bosh and George should all be first round picks. So if there's a possibility that they get on the same team, then that's awful and I agree that would be a bad choice. I wasn't expecting all of the teams to be exactly even, but I felt they would at least prevent super teams. But perhaps that is me being naive.

But as devil's advocate, how is that any different than the nba counter-parts of clippers vs. a team like the magic?
GreenBear (PHX)
GreenBear (PHX)

Back to top Go down

Post by LakeshowAK7 (OKC) Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:15 pm

When I think of "random fantasy draft," I think of it literally being random - meaning Channing Frye could potentially be randomized as the #1 overall pick. Maybe the admin team can clarify how that option would work?

But yes, I've seen sim games do a randomized draft like this, and they do not last. The more unfortunate teams go through GM's like hotcakes on Sundays, and they are never able to recover from their bad luck during the draft.
LakeshowAK7 (OKC)
LakeshowAK7 (OKC)

Back to top Go down

Post by GreenBear (PHX) Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:37 pm

LakeshowAK7 (LAL) wrote:When I think of "random fantasy draft," I think of it literally being random - meaning Channing Frye could potentially be randomized as the #1 overall pick.  Maybe the admin team can clarify how that option would work?

But yes, I've seen sim games do a randomized draft like this, and they do not last.  The more unfortunate teams go through GM's like hotcakes on Sundays, and they are never able to recover from their bad luck during the draft.

Ah, what you said makes perfect sense now. I don't think that is what the admin was alluding to. From what I gathered, there would be a computer simulated draft, with the computer GMs still trying to assemble the best possible team when it's their turn to pick. Who knows what criteria they would use (i.e. perhaps they only care about ratings, and not age or contract), so there will still inevitably be some teams better off than others, but it would ideally keep the super elite players off each other's team.

Now, the real GMs won't know who is on what team until after we choose teams. And we could choose teams however we want. I'd personally like to just have everyone keep their same teams (i.e. I'm still the grizzlies, dennis is celtics, etc.), but that part is not a big deal to me.
GreenBear (PHX)
GreenBear (PHX)

Back to top Go down

Post by Myles (SAS) Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:38 pm

No, it wouldn't be random like anyone could go #1. It would be the AI drafting for every team.
Myles (SAS)
Myles (SAS)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis (BOS) Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:54 pm

Still engine is only looking at actual ratings not at potentials or age. At least thats what I remember.
Dennis (BOS)
Dennis (BOS)

Back to top Go down

Post by Querejeta (WAS) Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:04 pm

number 3 for me. the most exciting way to do it and restart this well!
Querejeta (WAS)
Querejeta (WAS)

https://csleague.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Stockton12 (UTA) Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:11 pm

Number 1 for me
Stockton12 (UTA)
Stockton12 (UTA)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis (BOS) Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:14 pm

Dont mention it to influence the decision, but if we are doing a random fantasy draft (the third option) I believe I wouldnt participate in the new CSL. I put in so much work and finalized so many trades to finally get a team of my likes. With the restart that is now gone. If I now would have to manage a team that wouldnt have the identity it has in reallife I believe I wouldnt have any motivation left to stay around. Obviously whatever the majority wants. But look at how the Celtics look now. I started with Kanter and Rondo (and nothing else, pretty much) and now I had a really decent team that just needed "some" time to develope. Starting at the bottom doesnt have to be bad. Look at Orlando/NO. Nabbing good players with high picks and you can become a top team pretty fast. There always will and have to be bad teams. It isnt something bad. I would even prefer managing the Celtics and they wont be a playoff team within the next years compared to a random star studded team..
Dennis (BOS)
Dennis (BOS)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next