CSL
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» New Forum.
by Stockton12 (UTA) Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:41 pm

» Ready, Set, Go!
by Dennis (BOS) Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:59 am

» HOUSTON ROCKETS TRADE BLOCK
by WillyJakkz (ORL) Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:42 am

» Mike D'antoni
by WillyJakkz (ORL) Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:35 am

» Magic Fire
by WillyJakkz (ORL) Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:32 am

» Chicago Bulls TB
by Marcos_Beck (CHI) Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:27 am

» Chicago Sign
by Marcos_Beck (CHI) Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:47 am

» T.R. Dunn (10 characters)
by Jestor (LAL) Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:46 am

» Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
by Jestor (LAL) Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:43 am

Picking Teams

+22
goikiri (IND)
Dylan (BKN)
WillyJakkz (ORL)
rh0xxy (MIN)
Jestor (LAL)
Higrade (LAC)
bestnamezRtaken (POR)
Jamal (CHA)
Stockton12 (UTA)
Querejeta (WAS)
dapralbe (ATL)
BizGilwalker (HOU)
RobIII(GSW)
LakeshowAK7 (OKC)
andrei (MEM)
bt (SAC)
Jake0890 (WAS)
Dennis (BOS)
Cyrisnyte (SAS)
GreenBear (PHX)
Marcos_Beck (CHI)
Myles (SAS)
26 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Picking Teams - Page 2 Empty Re: Picking Teams

Post by GreenBear (PHX) Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:27 pm

Dennis (BOS) wrote:Dont mention it to influence the decision, but if we are doing a random fantasy draft (the third option) I believe I wouldnt participate in the new CSL. I put in so much work and finalized so many trades to finally get a team of my likes. With the restart that is now gone. If I now would have to manage a team that wouldnt have the identity it has in reallife I believe I wouldnt have any motivation left to stay around. Obviously whatever the majority wants. But look at how the Celtics look now. I started with Kanter and Rondo (and nothing else, pretty much) and now I had a really decent team that just needed "some" time to develope. Starting at the bottom doesnt have to be bad. Look at Orlando/NO. Nabbing good players with high picks and you can become a top team pretty fast. There always will and have to be bad teams. It isnt something bad. I would even prefer managing the Celtics and they wont be a playoff team within the next years compared to a random star studded team..

But would you be okay if you don't get the Celtics? It seems like you're Celtics or bust, but it's a legit possibility that you don't get them if we do option 1 or 2. Yes, they will not be contenders for the first couple years, but they have a ton of 1st round picks, which actually gives them a lot of appeal for people that want to build their own team.

I get and applaud your desire for the Celtics, but there's no guarantee that you get them.
GreenBear (PHX)
GreenBear (PHX)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis (BOS) Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:31 pm

GreenBear (MEM) wrote:
Dennis (BOS) wrote:Dont mention it to influence the decision, but if we are doing a random fantasy draft (the third option) I believe I wouldnt participate in the new CSL. I put in so much work and finalized so many trades to finally get a team of my likes. With the restart that is now gone. If I now would have to manage a team that wouldnt have the identity it has in reallife I believe I wouldnt have any motivation left to stay around. Obviously whatever the majority wants. But look at how the Celtics look now. I started with Kanter and Rondo (and nothing else, pretty much) and now I had a really decent team that just needed "some" time to develope. Starting at the bottom doesnt have to be bad. Look at Orlando/NO. Nabbing good players with high picks and you can become a top team pretty fast. There always will and have to be bad teams. It isnt something bad. I would even prefer managing the Celtics and they wont be a playoff team within the next years compared to a random star studded team..

But would you be okay if you don't get the Celtics? It seems like you're Celtics or bust, but it's a legit possibility that you don't get them if we do option 1 or 2. Yes, they will not be contenders for the first couple years, but they have a ton of 1st round picks, which actually gives them a lot of appeal for people that want to build their own team.

I get and applaud your desire for the Celtics, but there's no guarantee that you get them.

Obviously I wont mention the Sixers or Milwaukee in my top5 but nearly every other team. And it would even be waaaaaaay easier to start with Memphis, Dallas, OKC, GSW, CLE.. I could mention here every team in the league except for MKE and the 76ers. So if Im open to take on a rebuilding team like the Celtics again we will be just fine if there will be someone grabbing MKE (I believe riot will) and the 76ers. On the other side there wont be many guys with Boston as #1 option I believe.
And yes, I prefer every team instead of a random team. I want to compare my achievements to the reallife team.

Last edited by Dennis (BOS) on Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dennis (BOS)
Dennis (BOS)

Back to top Go down

Post by Stockton12 (UTA) Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:33 pm

Why not give the option first to the gm's who want to keep there teams they are on now and then go from there
Stockton12 (UTA)
Stockton12 (UTA)

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamal (CHA) Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:59 pm

I think I prefer #2 most.

Pure random GM draft, and accept what's left at our position.
Jamal (CHA)
Jamal (CHA)

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyrisnyte (SAS) Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:47 pm

Jamal (NYK) wrote:I think I prefer #2 most.

Pure random GM draft, and accept what's left at our position.

Good to see there is another GM with high intellect here. ha ha
Cyrisnyte (SAS)
Cyrisnyte (SAS)

Back to top Go down

Post by bestnamezRtaken (POR) Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:12 pm

So if we restart with NBA rosters (as you mentioned, Gay on Sactown, etc), what is the rookie class? Wiggins/Parker/Emiid? Or are those players already put on their teams (Wiggins on CLE, Parker on MIL, Emiid on PHI)?
bestnamezRtaken (POR)
bestnamezRtaken (POR)

Back to top Go down

Post by Myles (SAS) Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:24 pm

No, those would be the basis for the next few rookie classes. SunScorched and I are in the early process of making the 2014 draft class.
Myles (SAS)
Myles (SAS)

Back to top Go down

Post by LakeshowAK7 (OKC) Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:03 pm

I can confirm that I am going to take a less than desirable team, unless of course we do the random fantasy draft thing.

I would much rather prefer if we started with 13-14 rosters and go from there.
LakeshowAK7 (OKC)
LakeshowAK7 (OKC)

Back to top Go down

Post by bestnamezRtaken (POR) Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:18 pm

I wouldn't mind having a GM draft or a random AI fantasy draft. It doesn't matter to me, I'll take whatever team. It's a sim league, if I get a team I don't like, I'll make trades. That's be beauty of sim leagues.
bestnamezRtaken (POR)
bestnamezRtaken (POR)

Back to top Go down

Post by GreenBear (PHX) Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:25 pm

bestnamezRtaken (DAL) wrote:I wouldn't mind having a GM draft or a random AI fantasy draft. It doesn't matter to me, I'll take whatever team. It's a sim league, if I get a team I don't like, I'll make trades. That's be beauty of sim leagues.

well put.
GreenBear (PHX)
GreenBear (PHX)

Back to top Go down

Post by Higrade (LAC) Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:38 pm

@Myles -

I'm going to throw my idea out there because I feel it's a viable option and actually the fairest draft process ever.

*ASSUMING WE ARE USING NBA ROSTERS, NORMAL TEAMS.

Step 1: All GMs are randomized in a draft order. The order is then released.

Step 2: Each GM will PM Myles their #1 team they'd like. Only 1 team.

Step 3: If only 1 GM selects Team X, they are automatically awarded Team X. If two or more owners have picked Team X, then it goes to a random lottery for Team X (random.org) to pick the winner.

Step 4: Once Part 1 is completed, the GMs who did not pick a unique team or lost their lottery for the team, will go into the random draft order and select from the teams that did not get named in Part 1 of the draft.

If you're confused, here's an example:

DRAFT ORDER
1. Myles
2. Jestor
3. Willy
4. Marcos
5. HiGrade
6. Rh0xxy
7. Jake
8. Dennis

Next, everyone PMs 1 team to the Admin.

Part 1 Results
1. Myles - San Antonio Spurs (unique)
2. Jestor -
3. Willy - Miami Heat (beat out Jestor, Marcos)
4. Marcos -
5. HiGrade -
6. Rh0xxy - Houston Rockets (beat out Higrade)
7. Jake - Minnesota Timberwolves (unique)
8. Dennis - Sacramento Kings (unique)

- 3 GMs had unique picks, no one else selected those teams as their choice. HiGrade & Rhoxxy both chose the Rockets, the decision was made on random.org and Rh0xxy got the team. Same for the Heat with Jestor, Willy, Marcos.

- The draft resumes as normal now and Jestor is on the clock.  

IMO this is the only option that is 100% fair, with no questionable factors involved. GMs will try to go for a team they think no one else will pick, their hometown team, or just the team they want in general. Others will try to choose the best and hope they win the random lottery. If they miss out, they pick from what is leftover in the draft.

Last edited by Higrade (GSW) on Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Higrade (LAC)
Higrade (LAC)

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcos_Beck (CHI) Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:45 pm

Higrade (GSW) wrote:@Myles -

I'm going to throw my idea out there because I feel it's a viable option and actually the fairest draft process ever.

Step 1: 30GMs randomized in a draft order. The order is then released.

Step 2: Each GM will PM Myles their #1 team they'd like. Only 1 team.

Step 3: If only 1 owner selects Team X, they are automatically awarded that team. If two or more owners have a certain team listed, then it goes to a random lottery for that team (random.org) to pick the winner.

Step 4: Once those steps are completed, the GMs who did not pick a unique team or lost the lottery for the team they want, will go into the random draft order and select from the teams that did not get named in Part 1 of the draft.

If you're confused, here's an example:

1. Myles
2. Jestor
3. Willy
4. Marcos
5. HiGrade
6. Rh0xxy
7. Jake
8. Dennis

All 8 then PM 1 team choice to the admin.

1. Myles - San Antonio Spurs (unique)
2. Jestor -
3. Willy - Miami Heat (beat out Jestor, Marcos)
4. Marcos -
5. HiGrade -
6. Rh0xxy - Houston Rockets (beat out Higrade)
7. Jake - Minnesota Timberwolves (unique)
8. Dennis - Sacramento Kings (unique)

3 teams had unique picks, no one else selected those teams as their choice. HiGrade & Rhoxxy both chose the Rockets, the decision was made on random.org and Rh0xxy got the team. Same for the Heat with Jestor & Willy.

Now the draft will resume as a normal draft, with Jestor picking 1st from the teams that are leftover, followed by Marcos and so on.

IMO this is the only option that is 100% fair, with no questionable factors involved. GMs will try to go for a team they think no one else will pick, their hometown team, or just the team they want in general. Others will try to choose the best and hope they win the random lottery. If they miss out, they pick from what is leftover in the draft.

+1.

This is a great idea. Most of the GMs will pick the teams they want, and those who don't, can't complain because they lost the draw (which was made at a random.org, a website that won't benefit any GM) because of bad luck, not because admins did not award them with the team they wanted. I'm all in for this idea.
Marcos_Beck (CHI)
Marcos_Beck (CHI)

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake0890 (WAS) Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:47 pm

Wasn't it already said that we won't be doing a straight fantasy draft though?

That might be fair or whatever, but I'm still against every aspect of a random OR a fantasy draft.
Jake0890 (WAS)
Jake0890 (WAS)

Back to top Go down

Post by Higrade (LAC) Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:52 pm

Jake0890 (MIN) wrote:Wasn't it already said that we won't be doing a straight fantasy draft though?

That might be fair or whatever, but I'm still against every aspect of a random OR a fantasy draft.

That's not a fantasy draft bud. Where did I confuse you ? I'm assuming we are going with NBA teams with that idea.
Higrade (LAC)
Higrade (LAC)

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake0890 (WAS) Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:58 pm

Higrade (GSW) wrote:
Jake0890 (MIN) wrote:Wasn't it already said that we won't be doing a straight fantasy draft though?

That's not a fantasy draft bud. Where did I confuse you ? I'm assuming we are going with NBA teams with that idea.

Oh, I misunderstood. I thought that was just a really complicated way to come up with the order for the fantasy draft.

My bad.
Jake0890 (WAS)
Jake0890 (WAS)

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcos_Beck (CHI) Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:58 pm

It's a GM draft, not a player's draft.. Would work nicely.
Anyway, to be honest..

I don't care, I'm sticking to the league no matter what you decide.
I just want to see the re-start actually starting. Starting to move the forum to another better one, starting to pick teams, so we can see that it's for real, and start playing games again in one week or something like that. I think everyone here misses CSL action, we've only had a sim in almost 5 days, so starting as fast as possible would be amazing!
Marcos_Beck (CHI)
Marcos_Beck (CHI)

Back to top Go down

Post by Myles (SAS) Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:13 pm

@HiGrade: What's the point of having a draft order for GMs to pick their teams if random.org is going to handle disputes? This looks exactly like people sending in lists of their top choices, and using random.org to settle disputes. So here's my example:

Everyone PMs the admins their top 5 teams, in order. Any teams that are uniquely #1 will be given to that GM. Any teams that are disputed #1s (multiple GMs have listed them) will be decided by random.org. Once all the GMs #1 choices are handled we move to the #2 choices, and so on and so forth. For instance, if I picked San Antonio #1 and Chicago #2, and I lost San Antonio to someone else, and no other GMs had Chicago #1 or #2, I get Chicago, even if every other GM put Chicago as their #3.

Essentially, I'm taking out the draft order that you had HiGrade because it's unnecessary if we are using random.org to settle disputes. Everything else remains the same, and we are expediting the process by having everyone send in their top 5 at once and not have to wait to find out if they got it or not to send in another choice.
Myles (SAS)
Myles (SAS)

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcos_Beck (CHI) Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:42 pm

Myles (SAS) wrote:@HiGrade: What's the point of having a draft order for GMs to pick their teams if random.org is going to handle disputes? This looks exactly like people sending in lists of their top choices, and using random.org to settle disputes. So here's my example:

Everyone PMs the admins their top 5 teams, in order. Any teams that are uniquely #1 will be given to that GM. Any teams that are disputed #1s (multiple GMs have listed them) will be decided by random.org. Once all the GMs #1 choices are handled we move to the #2 choices, and so on and so forth. For instance, if I picked San Antonio #1 and Chicago #2, and I lost San Antonio to someone else, and no other GMs had Chicago #1 or #2, I get Chicago, even if every other GM put Chicago as their #3.

Essentially, I'm taking out the draft order that you had HiGrade because it's unnecessary if we are using random.org to settle disputes. Everything else remains the same, and we are expediting the process by having everyone send in their top 5 at once and not have to wait to find out if they got it or not to send in another choice.

So is it decided? Can we start sending our PMs?
I'm actually finishing my excel file with traded draft picks from 2014, 2015 and 2016, in case of you guys are going to use it..
Marcos_Beck (CHI)
Marcos_Beck (CHI)

Back to top Go down

Post by Myles (SAS) Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:00 pm

I just provided an alternative to HiGrade. This is all still discussion. Plus I figured you all would want to see ratings of the players before picking a team.
Myles (SAS)
Myles (SAS)

Back to top Go down

Post by Higrade (LAC) Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:35 pm

Myles (SAS) wrote:I just provided an alternative to HiGrade. This is all still discussion. Plus I figured you all would want to see ratings of the players before picking a team.

Yeah, most definitely want to see ratings and rosters before even thinking about picking any teams. As said, this is all discussion and no official decision has been made. I imagine we are at minimum a week away before Myles puts together a new file, forum and everything else.

But yeah Myles, I suppose either way honestly works fine. The reason I like my suggestion so much is it forces GMs to go bold and pick 1 unique team, or risk losing their pick to 8 other GMs who want the Heat. Also, there will either be a bunch of unique teams, or a bunch of GMs winding up in the draft, it's ultimately their decision if they want to take the risk. If you don't get your first choice, you have the chance to look over the teams leftover and decide which could be very good.

Picking 5 teams works just as good and its basically the same so I'm completely fine with that too. Especially since I could have a unique 2 choice and get them because everyone else has them at 3. But 1 or the other seems to be the only viable option at this point.

We're obviously sticking to NBA rosters, just a matter of figuring out which selection process to go with.
Higrade (LAC)
Higrade (LAC)

Back to top Go down

Post by GreenBear (PHX) Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:39 pm

Ugh. I hope we get to it before a week. I'm going to be in Cancun from the 5th - 12th of July. Not an ideal time to take holiday...
GreenBear (PHX)
GreenBear (PHX)

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake0890 (WAS) Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:41 pm

GreenBear (MEM) wrote:Ugh. I hope we get to it before a week. I'm going to be in Cancun from the 5th - 12th of July. Not an ideal time to take holiday...

Any time is an ideal time to be in Cancun.

(though I agree a week seems like a long time)
Jake0890 (WAS)
Jake0890 (WAS)

Back to top Go down

Post by Jestor (LAL) Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:51 pm

Either 1 or 2.
Jestor (LAL)
Jestor (LAL)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis (BOS) Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:10 pm

Higrade's Suggestion Sounds great too.
Whatever. Im 100% there will be guys leaving the League due to the New team assigned. Only question is: will it be guys that arent active, guys that are active, guys that are New (and could end up like tkaps) or guys who already are here a while.
So lets get it done as fast as possible to see if its worth it to be Part of the New csl or not.
Dennis (BOS)
Dennis (BOS)

Back to top Go down

Post by rh0xxy (MIN) Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:24 pm

It doesn't matter lol

I don't care what team i ended up with, just start simming as soon as possible Razz
rh0xxy (MIN)
rh0xxy (MIN)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next