CSL
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» New Forum.
by Stockton12 (UTA) Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:41 pm

» Ready, Set, Go!
by Dennis (BOS) Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:59 am

» HOUSTON ROCKETS TRADE BLOCK
by WillyJakkz (ORL) Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:42 am

» Mike D'antoni
by WillyJakkz (ORL) Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:35 am

» Magic Fire
by WillyJakkz (ORL) Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:32 am

» Chicago Bulls TB
by Marcos_Beck (CHI) Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:27 am

» Chicago Sign
by Marcos_Beck (CHI) Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:47 am

» T.R. Dunn (10 characters)
by Jestor (LAL) Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:46 am

» Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
by Jestor (LAL) Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:43 am

New Budget/Coaching System

+15
StOfTheStep (PHI)
Rizzo (NY)
andrei (MEM)
goikiri (IND)
WillyJakkz (ORL)
bestnamezRtaken (POR)
bt (SAC)
emplep7 (DET)
Stockton12 (UTA)
LakeshowAK7 (OKC)
Marcos_Beck (CHI)
GreenBear (PHX)
Dennis (BOS)
RobIII(GSW)
Myles (SAS)
19 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Are you in favor of the new budget/coaching system?

New Budget/Coaching System - Page 3 Vote_lcap83%New Budget/Coaching System - Page 3 Vote_rcap 83% 
[ 15 ]
New Budget/Coaching System - Page 3 Vote_lcap17%New Budget/Coaching System - Page 3 Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 18

New Budget/Coaching System - Page 3 Empty Re: New Budget/Coaching System

Post by GreenBear (PHX) Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:11 pm

I like the idea of the budgets in regards to coaching/scouting, but I'd also like to echo some other people's concerns about practicality. This whole "updating money on a daily basis" thing sounds like a ton of work for the admins, and has the chance to not be consistently updated. It might be smarter and easier to just have it updated on a monthly basis perhaps. Just a thought.

Secondly, I like that coaches are going to be more involved, but I personally hate the idea of only being able to use the coach's philosophies/systems. On one hand, I get that coaches have their own expertise at certain philosophies. On the other hand, coaches adapt their strategies in the playoffs all the time, depending on who the opponent is (whether they're a bunch of outside shooters, or they can't shoot a 3 to save their life, etc). I'd find it incredibly frustrating to not be able to tinker with my team to stop my opponents' strengths. Instead, you'd have to re-live similar box scores and outcomes over and over again (oh, the opponent made 20 3's again...).
GreenBear (PHX)
GreenBear (PHX)

Back to top Go down

Post by Myles (SAS) Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:23 pm

Re Dennis and BT: There won't be any spamming of articles. If anything, the previous system allowed for that a lot better, as you could write three "insider" articles and get gold scouting, but there was no cross checking. If it was posted in the Insider section and was long enough, then it qualified, even if it was low quality. You will be graded on this system, partially on length (insider vs. wiretap) and mostly on quality/depth of analysis. You will also receive extra points for writing league or draft articles. I will not discriminate based on language barriers, so you don't need to be Jestor in order to receive maximum credit for articles.

Re Jestor: After thinking about it, I think it would be simpler to have a coaching budget and a scouting budget. The coaching budget would stay static every year and would only be used for coaches, the scouting budget would just be a new way of handling how people get to scout prospects. They will be independent of each other.

Re GreenBear: None of the admins have said we will be using coach philosophies. In fact, we are all leaning against it. Coach philosophies will almost positively not be used.

Re Me not having enough time to do this: I'm stepping back from GM for two reasons, 1) because I don't have the drive to be a GM in multiple leagues anymore and 2) because I find much more pleasure and gratification in the draft aspect and the macro-league aspect of the CSL. The only thing I'll be doing here is monitoring member activity (and awarding points) and handling scouting. So anyone saying I won't have enough time isn't taking that into account.

Re doing it every day: In all honesty that won't happen. That's my goal, so that every time I update it I don't have that much to update, but if I only get to it three times a week that's fine too.
Myles (SAS)
Myles (SAS)

Back to top Go down

Post by Myles (SAS) Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:23 pm

Also, I will be keeping track of it in a publicly shared spreadsheet that will be view only for all GMs of the league. The only "tracking" anyone will need to do is opening the spreadsheet and going to their teams sheet in the spreadsheet.
Myles (SAS)
Myles (SAS)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis (BOS) Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:34 pm

Believe you have thought about your idea in Detail. If its works it Sounds good. If not, still something could be changed. Give it a go.
Dennis (BOS)
Dennis (BOS)

Back to top Go down

Post by bt (SAC) Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:36 pm

Such a huge overhaul to the system. All sounds great.

Will it slow the start of the season down as in, we're waiting for all of it to be implemented?
bt (SAC)
bt (SAC)

Back to top Go down

Post by Myles (SAS) Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:38 pm

Keep asking questions and challenging the idea. The more I think it through the better I can make it, so you guys really help make this become a much better idea than it would have been if I just implemented it. Keep the suggestions/questions coming!

No, it's a simple excel spreadsheet setup. The only thing that could slow us would be the new scouting system especially since now SunScorched and I need to create a new draft class from scratch. So the college season/scouting season might start behind schedule but we'll work it out.
Myles (SAS)
Myles (SAS)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis (BOS) Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:46 pm

Ps:
There should be a limitation somehow. If there is nothing to do at work I would always put together articles to get more money. Could result in knowing nearly everything about the class ^^
Dennis (BOS)
Dennis (BOS)

Back to top Go down

Post by bt (SAC) Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:46 pm

Okay, well question wise, this is huge I guess in two areas.

Don't burn yourself out doing it or I guess you lose the fun factor. Secondly, everyone is keen about it but it is a ton to take in. Will GM's get burnt out and will new GM's be able to catch on. Will need a great CBA written.

Am sure I'll think of other stuff as it comes up Smile
bt (SAC)
bt (SAC)

Back to top Go down

Post by Myles (SAS) Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:48 pm

Dennis (BOS) wrote:Ps:
There should be a limitation somehow. If there is nothing to do at work I would always put together articles to get more money. Could result in knowing nearly everything about the class ^^

I think I said it in the original post, if I didn't my bad. There will be a cap of money you can have at any given time so you won't just be able to hoard money.
Myles (SAS)
Myles (SAS)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis (BOS) Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:52 pm

Oh Sorry, missed that one or already forgot it again! Still I thought about it. No cap could be good too. With your scouting System you ...

Will finish it later, Sushi arrived, nom nom.
Dennis (BOS)
Dennis (BOS)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rizzo (NY) Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:22 pm

I think changing to a coaching budget and a scouting budget is a good idea. Keep them exclusive. I definitely don't think that using coaching philosophies for our team strategies is a good idea, but the fact that the scouting system now takes into account coach ratings, this now makes coaches that much more important to the game. Loving it!
Rizzo (NY)
Rizzo (NY)

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcos_Beck (CHI) Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:39 am

One question..

Coaches' ratings are going to change?
For example..
Thibs and Scott Brooks are much better coaches than their ratings shows..
Also coaches contracts are going to be updated? That becomes important as we had budget for them now..
Marcos_Beck (CHI)
Marcos_Beck (CHI)

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyrisnyte (SAS) Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:43 am

If I missed this somewhere, I am sorry.

1. Will coaches be on their actual teams to start? Pop - Spurs, McHale - Rockets, etc?

2. Will we have the ability to offer in game extensions to the coaches?

Thanks!
Cyrisnyte (SAS)
Cyrisnyte (SAS)

Back to top Go down

Post by Myles (SAS) Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:03 am

We cannot edit ratings for coaches as far as I know. I'll have to double check and see if that's something we want to go into when it comes to editing.

Teams will start with their current coaching staff. You'll still get the grace period of firing your coach where you won't be held responsible for the coaching contracts if you fire one of the four coaches you start with.
Myles (SAS)
Myles (SAS)

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcos_Beck (CHI) Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:15 am

Are you at least using the 2013 disk as a basis to generate the rosters? Maybe Thibs, Brooks and others got few bumps in their ratings, much needed ones.. Specially with coaches having so much responsibility now..

Have you guys tried to edit coaches @ database? Maybe it works, but maybe it creates some issues in the game that will make it crash. But I think you've already changed few things at database while editing contracts and rosters (probably) so it's worth giving this idea a try..
Marcos_Beck (CHI)
Marcos_Beck (CHI)

Back to top Go down

Post by Myles (SAS) Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:18 am

Yeah we started with the 2013 disk. I'll look into the coaches as soon as I get the ratings finished and the file/HTML posted.
Myles (SAS)
Myles (SAS)

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcos_Beck (CHI) Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:22 am

Myles (SAS) wrote:Yeah we started with the 2013 disk. I'll look into the coaches as soon as I get the ratings finished and the file/HTML posted.

Nice. Thanks Myles!
Marcos_Beck (CHI)
Marcos_Beck (CHI)

Back to top Go down

Post by Myles (SAS) Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:36 am

Updated all the head coaches. No guarantees on the ratings for the newer coaches, though I tried to keep it at least somewhat realistic. Assistant coach staffs are all over the place but I'm not going to do all those as well so you get what you get there.
Myles (SAS)
Myles (SAS)

Back to top Go down

Post by blackice (TOR) Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:14 am

Well done, this is very detailed and creates another layer to the game imo. Thanks for this man.
blackice (TOR)
blackice (TOR)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3