CSL
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» New Forum.
by Stockton12 (UTA) Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:41 pm

» Ready, Set, Go!
by Dennis (BOS) Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:59 am

» HOUSTON ROCKETS TRADE BLOCK
by WillyJakkz (ORL) Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:42 am

» Mike D'antoni
by WillyJakkz (ORL) Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:35 am

» Magic Fire
by WillyJakkz (ORL) Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:32 am

» Chicago Bulls TB
by Marcos_Beck (CHI) Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:27 am

» Chicago Sign
by Marcos_Beck (CHI) Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:47 am

» T.R. Dunn (10 characters)
by Jestor (LAL) Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:46 am

» Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
by Jestor (LAL) Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:43 am

OPEN: Discussion Topic

+15
Sun Scorched (NOP)
andrei (MEM)
Dennis (BOS)
WillyJakkz (ORL)
blackice (TOR)
Cyrisnyte (SAS)
orangeparka (MIA)
rh0xxy (MIN)
LakeshowAK7 (OKC)
Rizzo (NY)
Riot (MKE)
Jamal (CHA)
Dylan (BKN)
Jake0890 (WAS)
Myles (SAS)
19 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

OPEN: Discussion Topic - Page 2 Empty Re: OPEN: Discussion Topic

Post by WillyJakkz (ORL) Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:35 am

andrei wrote:
WillyJakkz wrote:Well they say Dylan and I (Myles) cause it's their League, they're the Commishes, not anything personal.

I think thats the attitude that gets good GMs out the door. Communication rule 101 is that people need to participate and need to know that they are not just here to 'consult' but to actually make a difference. When you say 'this is my league and I do what I want' ... thats just not a good message when asking people to participate

I think you're bypassing the several times they've both stated "we need to do x to make this League fun" "we need to do x to make our League more engaging"...

There are however times when the GM's don't necessarily have to be consulted and an executive decision needs to be made.

Some things could be handled differently, nothing is failsafe though and at the end of the day there does however need to be a pecking order and there's nothing wrong with that when things are done fairly.

I didn't agree with some of the GM firings just as you don't agree with what's being quoted and that's cool as well.

It's about moving forward though.

My qualm was the GM's may have half-assed it in the Leagues opinion but they toughed it out regardless.

Last edited by WillyJakkz on Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
WillyJakkz (ORL)
WillyJakkz (ORL)

Back to top Go down

Post by orangeparka (MIA) Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:39 am

What was wrong with the previous boards BTW?

I remember not liking them at first but after getting used to it it was fine.

I guess same goes for here. Still trying to get a feel for it.

orangeparka (MIA)

Back to top Go down

Post by blackice (TOR) Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:55 am

andrei wrote:
WillyJakkz wrote:Well they say Dylan and I (Myles) cause it's their League, they're the Commishes, not anything personal.

I think thats the attitude that gets good GMs out the door. Communication rule 101 is that people need to participate and need to know that they are not just here to 'consult' but to actually make a difference. When you say 'this is my league and I do what I want' ... thats just not a good message when asking people to participate
I mean there is room for input as they are both asking for feedback and suggestions on a regular basis but in terms of consulting/making a difference we all have our roles in my opinion. In any successful organization the boss(es) have the final say, in this context the admin team. Is there room for input? Sure, I believe that this hasn't been an issue, the only change I could see is putting decisions to a vote if making a direct difference is the goal. I am adamantly against that though for a multitude of reason but in short as GM's we can make a difference by being as active as we can. There is a saying that goes "a camel is a horse designed by a committee" which kind of applies here. Input and feedback I agree with but not decision making power.
blackice (TOR)
blackice (TOR)

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake0890 (WAS) Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:02 pm

It looks like we have everyone here that was invited besides Biz and dqchen. Thought Rockman and jinx would get an invite too, but it is what it is.

Any idea when the coach signing period will start?
Jake0890 (WAS)
Jake0890 (WAS)

Back to top Go down

Post by andrei (MEM) Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:03 pm

All I'm saying is that there is a problem - low activity

Is the solution as simple as: You have to write more articles.

I think not

You first have to understand the root cause and then find a short, medium and long term solution

If nobody cares about your opinion - what is the difference between you and numerous passer by GMs we had the last few months?

How many important decisions in the NBA are made without the approval of 30 owners?
andrei (MEM)
andrei (MEM)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dylan (BKN) Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:33 pm

Jake0890 wrote:It looks like we have everyone here that was invited besides Biz and dqchen. Thought Rockman and jinx would get an invite too, but it is what it is.

Any idea when the coach signing period will start?
Jinx is here
Dylan (BKN)
Dylan (BKN)
Admin

https://csleague.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dylan (BKN) Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:36 pm

andrei wrote:

Tell me, how often do we use the attitude "this is my league and I do what I want." We almost never do. This is something we absolutely HAD to do, given we weren't getting nearly the results we needed to keep running the league.

Almost every change we make, we have the league vote on it and discuss it well before implemented. We almost never make changes just because we said we wanted to, we always involve the GMs in big decisions. This is one we couldn't involve GMs in, as it's an issue with the entire league as well as us specifically.

Communication with GMs is something we consider extremely important and key to a healthy league. We do it as often as possible for anything possible. For you to say we don't do that, shows we're not doing our jobs.
Dylan (BKN)
Dylan (BKN)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rizzo (NY) Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:51 pm

I think the communication between the admin team and the GMs has been great. They have allowed us to raise new ideas and have an open discussion about them as well as many other topics. As far as membership goes, I don't think we as GMs get a say in that. I know I don't keep track of the activity of other GMs like the admins do so I wouldn't know who has been active enough to warrant staying and who doesn't.

At the end of the day, I put my full trust into the administrators here in doing what is best for this league.
Rizzo (NY)
Rizzo (NY)

Back to top Go down

Post by andrei (MEM) Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:30 pm

Just having an open discussion guys - no need to get all aggressive with me Smile I am a very sensitive individual  Crying or Very sad 

Somebody has to give out a little bit here and there

'When two men in business always agree, one of them is unnecessary.'
andrei (MEM)
andrei (MEM)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dylan (BKN) Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:35 pm

andrei wrote:Just having an open discussion guys - no need to get all aggressive with me Smile I am a very sensitive individual  Crying or Very sad 

Not trying to be aggressive at all. But it's almost insulting to us to say we don't involve you guys enough. It's something we stress and take pride in.
Dylan (BKN)
Dylan (BKN)
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis (BOS) Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:36 pm

andrei wrote:Just having an open discussion guys - no need to get all aggressive with me Smile I am a very sensitive individual  Crying or Very sad 

Man, everybody hates you! And now go back to the pub and drink your single malt and Guinness!  Razz 
Dennis (BOS)
Dennis (BOS)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sun Scorched (NOP) Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:01 pm

Feels good to be home!
Sun Scorched (NOP)
Sun Scorched (NOP)

Back to top Go down

Post by emplep7 (DET) Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:05 pm

Also interested in the new banner.
emplep7 (DET)
emplep7 (DET)

Back to top Go down

Post by Myles (SAS) Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:45 pm

andrei wrote:
Myles (SAS) wrote:There were a bunch of questions raised in the group message so I'll address them here.

@Willy: We only want active and committed GMs. Not active or committed. If we feel that a GM cannot be both, we won't waste our time.

@Andrei: We want to maintain realism so we won't be changing the lottery system. Perhaps I can change a few things to weigh scouting more heavily in favor of the bad teams. We won't be expanding because we hardly have enough GMs as it is. Dylan and I are certainly going to work on things and try to make it more immersive for everyone.

We'll have a list of open teams with applications available soon (not that you guys need to apply, but just so everyone knows which teams are open).

Don't you think guys that you could get other GMs a little bit more involved in that sense. I mean I realise its your league but when you say 'Dylan and I' it just seems that others can't make a contribution. Lets have a branstorming session using some 6Sigma methodologies to address our issues  - 5Whys or 6Hats are particularly good:)

Also, I am not a big Forum user but I probably spent 99.9% of my time in New Posts section of the old forum. Is there a button like that here? I see New Posts button but it seems to be doing something different - taking me to the home page  Crying or Very sad 

For the record, we had an entire thread devoted to asking people for suggestions when it came to league activity. It's where we got the ideas for the mandatory trade articles (which will be enforced beginning now). http://csl.boards.net/thread/1394/activity-input-desired
Myles (SAS)
Myles (SAS)

Back to top Go down

Post by Myles (SAS) Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:47 pm

Also, there is a new posts since last visit button at the top of the page, and the latest topics bar on the side should help as well. I also lived on the new posts page (in fact, that page was the one I had bookmarked), so I know how you feel.
Myles (SAS)
Myles (SAS)

Back to top Go down

Post by Myles (SAS) Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:48 pm

WillyJakkz (HOU) wrote:How much wiggle room do we have during negotiations within the engine since we're not using Player Agents?

Will they give a heads up if they do not like your offer or will they just simply sign with another team without warning or will the rumors reported like last year be what we should go by?

I ask this because I do not have the game and would really hate to lose a player due to a lack of communication withint the actual game engine between Player, Agent, and Team.

It will be exactly how we handled it last year, with rumors. If you don't have the game, I strongly recommend becoming friends with a GM who does and asking them to help you out with FA bids.
Myles (SAS)
Myles (SAS)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis (BOS) Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:51 pm

Somebody knows how to Turn Off those Email Notifications?
Dennis (BOS)
Dennis (BOS)

Back to top Go down

Post by emplep7 (DET) Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:54 pm

DennisJ wrote:Somebody knows how to Turn Off those Email Notifications?

Profile -> Notifications -> Uncheck all of the email ones.

Remember to hit SAVE at the bottom.
emplep7 (DET)
emplep7 (DET)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis (BOS) Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:06 pm

emplep7 wrote:
DennisJ wrote:Somebody knows how to Turn Off those Email Notifications?

Profile -> Notifications -> Uncheck all of the email ones.  

Remember to hit SAVE at the bottom.

Merci!
Didnt find it via Handy Very Happy
Dennis (BOS)
Dennis (BOS)

Back to top Go down

Post by emplep7 (DET) Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:14 pm

Np.
emplep7 (DET)
emplep7 (DET)

Back to top Go down

Post by LakeshowAK7 (OKC) Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:28 pm

The only thing I will say about league activity is that it grows tiresome to see the same 7-8 teams writing articles. I know not everyone is a great writer, but about 10 GM's in CSL would log on, check their trades, read some threads and then do nothing - not even participate in the finals thread or anything.

What really frustrated me was spending 2-3 hours at a time working on the power rankings, and hardly getting any discussion going, except for those same 7-8 guys who would do the majority of the article writing. A league is what you make it, and while I understand some of us have closer ties to individuals than others, we need to trim the fat - or in other words, the GM's who literally don't bring anything to the league outside of being a warm body controlling a team.
LakeshowAK7 (OKC)
LakeshowAK7 (OKC)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rizzo (NY) Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:05 pm

emplep7 wrote:Also interested in the new banner.

This.

I think it's tough to look at the forums right now because it is a bit bland but once the new banner goes up it should feel a little more "homey". What do we think about matching the color scheme of the forums to the color of the reigning CSL champion jerseys?
Rizzo (NY)
Rizzo (NY)

Back to top Go down

Post by emplep7 (DET) Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:08 pm

Rizzo (NO) wrote:
emplep7 wrote:Also interested in the new banner.

This.

I think it's tough to look at the forums right now because it is a bit bland but once the new banner goes up it should feel a little more "homey". What do we think about matching the color scheme of the forums to the color of the reigning CSL champion jerseys?

Thats actually a good idea. And hopefully a constant reminder of why we want the Heat to lose so badly.
emplep7 (DET)
emplep7 (DET)

Back to top Go down

Post by bestnamezRtaken (POR) Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:43 pm

Well, I'm here now. Had a bit of a busy day/evening last night and just finally read all of this thread and the messages on the previous board.

I'm not a huge fan of the phpBB type boards, more of an IPB type person, or even IF. Maybe it's just because the AVs are on the right side instead of the left side. Regardless, I'll still be around and I'll stay behind the decision made by Dylan and Myles.

Yeah, cutting some GMs you guys thought were active or endured a long agonizing season with their teams might not have been the right way to go, but at the end of the day, the two people running the league have to do what's best for their league to keep things going, to try and get the activity they desire. I've been in the same position as they've been in...putting in so much work into a league, time and effort...it's not easy...but if you aren't getting the appreciation you deserve, it sort of turns into a chore running a league, instead of a hobby. I stand behind both of their decisions 100%. I know what it takes to run a league and let me tell you...they busy their asses every day, to keep this league going and to make it the best one on the net.

So for that, I thank you guys.
bestnamezRtaken (POR)
bestnamezRtaken (POR)

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyJakkz (ORL) Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:19 pm

LakeshowAK7 wrote:The only thing I will say about league activity is that it grows tiresome to see the same 7-8 teams writing articles.  I know not everyone is a great writer, but about 10 GM's in CSL would log on, check their trades, read some threads and then do nothing - not even participate in the finals thread or anything.

What really frustrated me was spending 2-3 hours at a time working on the power rankings, and hardly getting any discussion going, except for those same 7-8 guys who would do the majority of the article writing.  A league is what you make it, and while I understand some of us have closer ties to individuals than others, we need to trim the fat - or in other words, the GM's who literally don't bring anything to the league outside of being a warm body controlling a team.

But see here is where I vehemently disagree and here's why:

Everyone wants the CSL to resemble its real life NBA counterpart and part of what the NBA the NBA (or any sports League for that matter) is there are standout GM's and there are GM's you wouldn't even know existed due to the job they do or don't do with their franchise.

Irl the Bucks, Nets, Pistons, Bobcats, and Magic have or had some of the worst GM's in the League due to either their poor management of funds or just not getting good value or good talent on those said franchises even after Finals runs etc and or mishandling of star players.

Teams in bad positions usually aren't exciting or have zero exciting to talk about or even when they do have something to talk about, it's kinda hard to reply to a storyline of a franchise with subpar players who don't perform well so call it what it is but yuedar, bazemore, and even bt stuck it out, I respect those guys more than the GM's of GS and Cleveland who actually have good teams and could care less about posting or even writing an article or what have you unless likely mandated by the League.

Those are the GM types who I personally would stay away from and again, the decision has already been made, didn't agree with it but it's accepted.

And btw it's obvious yuedar did a great job, he got the #1 pick (which I hope doesn't get traded with the gm who switched teams "vision" of what he feels the team should be), he drafted Giannis Antekountpo (close enough if spelled wrong), drafted Nerlens Noel, and cleared tons of cap room, very solid job and again, Bazemore initially went with Dragic, SG (?), SF (I think Prince?), Millsap, Marc Gasol, when it didn't work when he started getting scrutinized for his trades (Dragic is a terrible PG etc) he tried a different PG (Nash I think) then blew up the team and imo got taken advantage of in those trades and ended up with what Memphis has now. Both guys had small consistent participation throughout the season.

GS, Cleveland GM's had sparse participation with an underachieving team and a very very good team while Jestor had huge participation but left, came back, and left again.

No League (sim or NBA) is gonna have every single GM do a great job while also having maximum participation and to expect that is an unreal expectation imo, it always starts that way then once the season progresses and guys see how their team perform is usually the determining factor and I think the timing was wrong to let all of those guys go at once when other teams still weren't full and I just hope the new GM's that come on board don't go thru the typical cycle of the other "new" GM's that sign up, get a warm welcome then dip after about a month maybe.

/ $.02
WillyJakkz (ORL)
WillyJakkz (ORL)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next