CSL
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» New Forum.
by Stockton12 (UTA) Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:41 pm

» Ready, Set, Go!
by Dennis (BOS) Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:59 am

» HOUSTON ROCKETS TRADE BLOCK
by WillyJakkz (ORL) Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:42 am

» Mike D'antoni
by WillyJakkz (ORL) Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:35 am

» Magic Fire
by WillyJakkz (ORL) Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:32 am

» Chicago Bulls TB
by Marcos_Beck (CHI) Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:27 am

» Chicago Sign
by Marcos_Beck (CHI) Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:47 am

» T.R. Dunn (10 characters)
by Jestor (LAL) Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:46 am

» Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
by Jestor (LAL) Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:43 am

State of CSL - Feedback Needed

+22
StOfTheStep (PHI)
andrei (MEM)
Dqchen87 (CAVS)
Marcos_Beck (CHI)
Higrade (LAC)
bt (SAC)
emplep7 (DET)
Cyrisnyte (SAS)
Benripcity (MIA)
Jestor (LAL)
BizGilwalker (HOU)
Jamal (CHA)
dapralbe (ATL)
LakeshowAK7 (OKC)
GreenBear (PHX)
RobIII(GSW)
Stockton12 (UTA)
Dennis (BOS)
bestnamezRtaken (POR)
Jake0890 (WAS)
Myles (SAS)
Dylan (BKN)
26 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Which option do you prefer?

State of CSL - Feedback Needed - Page 3 Vote_lcap13%State of CSL - Feedback Needed - Page 3 Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 3 ]
State of CSL - Feedback Needed - Page 3 Vote_lcap71%State of CSL - Feedback Needed - Page 3 Vote_rcap 71% 
[ 17 ]
State of CSL - Feedback Needed - Page 3 Vote_lcap0%State of CSL - Feedback Needed - Page 3 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
State of CSL - Feedback Needed - Page 3 Vote_lcap16%State of CSL - Feedback Needed - Page 3 Vote_rcap 16% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 24

State of CSL - Feedback Needed - Page 3 Empty Re: State of CSL - Feedback Needed

Post by Jake0890 (WAS) Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:31 pm

1.  With the restart, we are going with rosters from day 1 of this season correct?  Wiggins Orlando, Len Boston, etc?

I thought the intention with the restart was go back to NBA 2013 rosters. Dylan brought up the example of "Rudy Gay on Sacramento".
Jake0890 (WAS)
Jake0890 (WAS)

Back to top Go down

State of CSL - Feedback Needed - Page 3 Empty Re: State of CSL - Feedback Needed

Post by emplep7 (DET) Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:36 pm

I think restarting a league is very risky as I haven't seen many leagues survive much longer after a restart.  GMs will have that sour taste in their mouth and will not feel secure with the league if something like this were to happen.

Contractions also I don't think will be a good idea for the league.  We need to grow to be a stronger league as a while and that involves finding the right GMs. 

I also do not think re-rating players is a good idea since GMs have made trades and built teams around the current ratings.  I can see how a GM of a crappy team would love to restart and have a second chance at the mistakes they made, but some people have built their teams where they want them and have been strategic in not making those mistakes.

I also don't care what their real life counter part is doing since this is a sim league and there is supposed to be that level of separation between them. 

I DO think we need a new forum, this one is not ideal with the lack of ability to upload .tem files and I think the scouting needs to be revamped, but you already seem to have those two covered.  Now just keep the league as is and from here on out, the rookies wont have the ridiculous ratings that the current guys have and eventually when the current guys retire it will all fix itself.

Lets just have a plan going forward and set it in place and then it should all be good. 

Just my two cents though as I would stick with whatever the majority wants.
emplep7 (DET)
emplep7 (DET)

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyrisnyte (SAS) Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:51 pm

Jake0890 (MIN) wrote:

1.  With the restart, we are going with rosters from day 1 of this season correct?  Wiggins Orlando, Len Boston, etc?

I thought the intention with the restart was go back to NBA 2013 rosters. Dylan brought up the example of "Rudy Gay on Sacramento".

I can never keep up with what year players are drafted, etc. ha ha

That is why I asked.
Cyrisnyte (SAS)
Cyrisnyte (SAS)

Back to top Go down

Post by bt (SAC) Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:41 am

Sorry I'm late. Damn soccer at 5am here.

My preference would actually be to leave things as is. Jamal and Jestor did bring up two really good points. League history and independence from the NBA. You need the league history and I'm sure teams like Orlando were really looking forward to the next phase.

Independence from the NBA is key too. I mean, is it really all that bad that Tyson Chandler hits 50% of his jumpers just because the NBA version doesn't? If we're independent then it really doesn't matter if Chandler shoots 50% from three and averages 6 assists a game. Does it really matter if someone's contract is off also? All it means is this league started with a different set of numbers and ratings than any other. It's unique. In 10 years time you can talk about how high the scoring was and how it may or may not have changed.

The scoring is high. No doubting that and I've mentioned that before but it could also be passed off as a trend. The NBA and leagues all go through trends. Some high scoring years, some lower. We might be at a high scoring phase and for all we know, a wave of solid defenders are entering the league soon. That gives the CSL its next chapter in history.

Just my thoughts anyway. As I said, we suck as a team. League is high scoring at the moment but we can't score to save ourselves, lol, but I'm enjoying it and enjoying thinking of ways to try and counter the high scorers of this league... in time.
bt (SAC)
bt (SAC)

Back to top Go down

Post by Higrade (LAC) Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:05 am

I voted for Restart. Doesn't matter to me if there is a contraction or not, but I voted to just to keep the league at a full 30 teams. I think if everything is done properly, we can easily replace the few inactive GMs who are not up to standard, so cutting the number of teams down isn't a smart idea I think. Although I honestly don't care either way.

Also - I'm assuming the admins are making a custom roster mod ? I have no idea what was used last time around, but I assume it will be different than that ? I'm sure there are several roster mods on the WS forums that users have uploaded. Should be able to see feedback from people as well as far as scoring and any other problems that may or may not have arisen.

As far as the who gets what team thing goes -

I would personally be in favor of a fantasy draft, but obviously that takes a fair amount of work in order to be successful. 12 Rounds, Snake style obviously, then FA sign at will afterwards at a set time. The draft would be done just like the rookie draft, via the forum. No trading - just complicates things much more. Each team would get roughly 4-6 hours to make their pick once they are on the clock, if yall want this to be done fast. Majority of people will pick immediately. If this is done on the new forum, it would be required / recommended you set up notifications to be sent to you via email or cell # , so one of the many commissioners can PM you once you are on the clock, and you'll see it immediately if you set it up to your cell, therefore the draft goes by much quicker. Lists would obviously help tremendously for those who choose to go that route.

Anyway, that would be a lot better than having people argue over who gets what team IMO.

2nd solution would be to randomize a draft order, then have every GM send a PM with their top choices for which team (this works a lot better than a regular team draft) so say the draft order is randomized, posted on the forum. There is a deadline to PM your choices to the admins. Once that deadline is up, admins go through and post who got which team so its finished quickly. For example, the draft order is released, I have the 14th pick, I'll PM my top 14 choices.

Just a few ideas, but I'm in favor of restarting on a new, cleaner forum and restarting the league completely.
Higrade (LAC)
Higrade (LAC)

Back to top Go down

Post by Higrade (LAC) Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:26 am

Forgot to mention that whatever - Greg Oden, for example - does in the NBA should not reflect what he does in the CSL or how he is rated. I've never been in a sim league where players mirror their real life counter parts. It's basically their talent level, if anything. Obviously guys like Lebron, Durant, etc are going to be great but you can't do that for the entire league, its just unrealistic. I don't care what roster mod is used, but there are a handful of them out there that should be viable options. This one just obviously has way too much scoring.
Higrade (LAC)
Higrade (LAC)

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcos_Beck (CHI) Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:02 am

I've read carefully to every single comment here, and also was working in some comparisons of my players to their real NBA counter pads (even though no player is the same as their NBA self.)

What I think is..

1st - No Contraction:
Why? Because it would lead to less key things to keep activity up: 60-75 less roster spots, which means that it would lead to at least one super team. And when I say super team I mean one with 5 NBA All-Stars as starters. I've seen this happening in 29 team leagues, imagine how many super squads can line up with only 25 teams.
It would also mean less competitiveness at Free Agency Period (leading to players with smaller contracts, the possibility to line up better players together), less trades, well, I think I've given enough reasons to explain why I don't want a contraction.

2nd - Improve Ratings:
I don't think the problem is at scoring / defense rates. I think the "broken" rates are STL ratings (too high for some players) which contributes to more FCP 10 teams. Also, while players with high HDL and drive instructions are getting to the rim and finishing at will (Harden, Smart, Lillard, I'm looking at you), the problem is not in the HDL attribute, it is in FGD, FGI, FGJ. It's waaaaay to high the way it is, it's impossible for Harden to finish more than 70% of his 11-12 Inside shots attempts. That's completely broken, that's LeBron's level ONLY, and everyone knows LeBron is a complete train wrack, it's impossible to stop him once he gets past his defender. NOT EVEN DWIGHT HOWARD can finish 70% of his inside attempts. Look at players shot charts, compare them to the game's %s, it's COMPLETELY broken.
And also, a player which shot at a high volume (and by that it means he has to create his own shot, taking some off-balance, bad shots, late in the clock, taking over offensive plays that do not work, creating from nothing), tends to have worse shot %s than players who are spot-up shooters.
Also, LeBron has 75% success rate in inside FG attempts in the NBA because the Heat play very spread, playing "5-0" many times, with lots of capable shooters in the perimeter, which opens defenses (including the best shooter of all time, Ray Allen). I mean, nobody plays that way here, the closest team to do it is POR, which plays 2 wings to spread the floor to Lillard. There's NO WAY Harden, starting next to NO player who averages over 1 3pt/game, to have that much space to infiltrate / convert shots at the 70% rate he does. He can't do it in NBA where he plays with Parsons who's a great outside thread, and Beverley / Jones who can shoot too, and DWIGHT inside to draw defenders' attention, imagine here, playing with 2 traditional big mans, and Iggy at the wings, a 33% shooter, and Collison, who can't drain over a 3 per game. (no offense to you or your team Willy, it's just to show how much the system is broken because of those FGD, FGI, FGJ ratings).

3rd - CBA / Rules changes:
That can be done even without a re-start. I also find some rules a bit unclear, so changes here may help the league. We're past trade deadline so no moves can be made and rules can be changed for next offseason / season.

4th - Scouting system changes:
Read above.

(let me just add something here. I think our current FA system, with PAs handling everything, is great. It needs a little bit of adjustment but we've only done it once and I'm sure you guys will have lots of new ideias to add to it for next offseason period, like a sign moratorium, better notions about players' personality (Play For Winner, Greed, Playing Time) to reflect it when they're deciding, not only reflecting PAs personality. I think this is completely different and I like the direction PAs are taking. No issues here, we've got ways to go until the system works perfectly but only time and practice will lead us to perfection. Stick with it).

5th - Re-starting the league:
I've read few times what Jamal has said and I agree with his comments. The most fun thing in this sim leagues is writing a long history. I mean, everyone knows that trying to beat OP's Heat at season two, after they were crowed as 1st CSL champions, was a real accomplishment, so everyone worked harder to make it happen. Nobody could do it, it shows how great of a system he had, but it brings more fun to the league. I'm not in favor of erasing league's History, but I won't lie that I hate the fact that the system is broken and any player with good HDL, great FGD / FGI / FGJ, and instructed to drive, will dominate the scoring boards, and almost every team with 10 10 10 10 10 10 philosophies is going to succeed. I mean, there's not even a chance to tweak philosophies even a bit, because the only one who really seems to work is that "high everything", and the most fun part here is outsmarting other GMs. I'm pretty sure that most of GMs will stick to the 10 10 10 10 10 10 philosophies even if they start to get beaten in PO's, as there don't seem to be a better philosophy.

If the only way to fix the system is by re-starting.. Well, I don't know. I see that there are very smart people here, and, sooner than later, somebody is going to find a way to break the system again, and there will be more discussion about issues, and all those things. But, I really HATE that issue (it can be because I don't have Harden / Lillard / Smart or any similar player to break the system too, or I refuse to play a 10 10 10 10 10 philosophy, I only know that I don't like it the way it is).. If the only way to tweak everything is by re-starting.. I'm going to stick around as long as there's no contraction. I've put a lot of work to re-shape my team since I joined the league, but F*** that, I love sim leagues and I'll put the same effort I did before to be the best I can.

So, what I'd do:

1st - Re-start the league
2nd - fix the FGI / FGD / FGJ problems
3rd - fire 1 GM (the one that, in your opinion, is contributing less to the league right now) and promote Stockton12 as GM of that team. That would be a HUGE warning call for every other non-active GM.
4th - change rules / CBA / scouting system
5th - never NEVER EVER think about re-starting it anymore. Let's build a real history for CSL, like the one we're building now.

If you decide against re-starting. I'm sticking around. Even though I don't like the philosophy and broken system things, I love the community, I love my team, and I'll be here till CSL ends or I die (whichever happens first LOL)

If you guys need help, Ideas, anything, contact me!
And also, I think it would be nice to receive feedback from the community in some ideas (as rule changes, for example) if we re-start the game, since we can give you new ideas and opinions about changes to be made. We, together, admin team and community, can create the best Sim League of all time.

@Myles: Please, reconsider your opinion to step down as GM. You're great to the league, we can see your effort with Draft classes, articles, league suggestions, running the forums, working with the other commishs.. You're one of the best GMs here, and would be pretty bad to see you leave. If we do a fresh start, reconsider leaving, stick around with your Spurs, at least to guarantee that Duncan is going to retire as a Spur! LOL, just kidding, but would be really bad to see a guy who puts so much effort and work in CSL and can't join the fun with us because he does not have a team. I know you'll feel good about running the league smoothy but there's no more fun in sim leagues than owning a team!
Marcos_Beck (CHI)
Marcos_Beck (CHI)

Back to top Go down

Post by Myles (SAS) Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:30 am

Wow. A LOT of misconceptions going on here. Okay, let me address them one at a time.

1. We are NOT, I repeat, are NOT going to update the ratings as we go based on real life. No way, no how. We are editing the ratings right now so we have a base roster file to start with, and these ratings are going to be based off of the 2013-2014 season that just ended. This is no different than starting with the default rosters (based on Gary's interpretation of the 2011-2012 season) or the season disks. We are just trying to create the best roster file we can to start with. After that, we let the game take over. There will never again be any ratings updates, period.

2. I would also like to add that if we restart, we will never bring up the idea of restarting or altering ratings again. When Dylan and I started this league, we used the default roster file that came with the game and just went with it, and found out, to our utmost dismay, that Gary (the creator of the game) did a terrible job with the ratings. We have more experience now as commissioners, and we feel confident that this will be a success. If it's not, then that's fine, and we'll roll with that punch because we can at least say we gave it our best shot.

3. No contraction. League has spoken very clearly on that and I think I agree. Contraction is not something we want to go through.

4. Responding to Cyrisnyte's ramblings: the new scouting system will provide something for everyone, even those people who do not have a pick in the upcoming draft (by definition, they must have a first round pick in every other draft).

We want a forum that does .tem files. That is our top priority.

We want a much better version of free agency, including a moratorium period. There will be a similar # of agents to what we had this year and it will be much much better than our first go around with it.

The new scouting system will get it's own thread in a few days.

The rosters will be as of the NBA playoffs, so Rudy Gay on the Kings, Beno Udrih on the Grizzlies, etc.

We have not yet determined whether or not we want picks to just be reset (two per year for the next three drafts for every team) or if we want to mirror real life's next three drafts (Lakers 2015 1st to Phoenix, etc). We are only dealing with three drafts at a time, no more trading picks 5 years away, etc.

5. To respond to both emplep and bt, I understand your points of view with keeping the league going, but to be perfectly honest, the super unrealistic scoring sucked the drive out of myself and Dylan. Made it very hard to continue going especially since it wasn't even our roster to begin with, so it was just like throwing our hands up all the time at Gary. He made a great engine and he's been great in the past with roster files, he just really mailed this one in.

6. We aren't doing a fantasy draft because they take forever, and honestly by the time the draft is done people have almost lost interest. Team draft is interesting for sure, and something we'll discuss as an option.

7. To respond to Marcos, this is our only re-start, so when people find the "cheat code" or whatever in the future, we'll just address it with the draft. The difference between that and now is that at the very least, that will be the roster set the mods created, so we only have ourselves to blame. We'll fix our mess at that point.

8. Also, I'm not leaving this league. Hell no, no way. I'm just stepping down as a general manager. I want to stay on as Rookie Head and an Assistant Commissioner, but I just don't have interest in being a general manager anymore. I'm excited for my new scouting system and I want to crush it.
Myles (SAS)
Myles (SAS)

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcos_Beck (CHI) Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:32 am

Also, just to add to what I've said, I think we can have "team goals" and "personal (GM) goals".

Team goals can be decided at the beginning of the season with the possibility to change with ratings upgrades (January / March) to reflect injuries / current league situation better. It's fairly easy to look at a team and try to PREDICT where he's going to finish and also their direction going forward. Of course every GM has it's own direction but team goals could give you some scouting points at the end of the season (this way it would not be mandatory, but would be a help at the scouting part when the season is over, so teams would benefit from completing those goals). I think someone can set goals for each team, like, "you have to finish in the TOP-8 and achieve POs". "You have to make all the way to the Conference finals".. or even "give 30+ minutes to this guy and develop him to be a future starter. Stick with him for our rebuilding plans". Or "extend someone long term". "Find a SG for our starting 5".. I mean, teams with better players, with more Payroll, taxpayers, they have more pressure to succeed, while teams with young talent, CAP, they can focus on drafting, scouting, trying to improve their guys, giving minutes to players (but teams can't take long like 3-4 seasons rebuilding and losing otherwise their owners are losing money).. I mean it can all be done by reflecting team history and situation And this can be reflected in Team Goals. If you don't like the idea of giving scouting points for achieved goals, you guys can share other options, but it has to be something not mandatory, but that would benefit those who can achieve it. And, of course, each team could have up to 5-6-7-8 (you name) team goals.

Personal (or GM) goals would be the same for everyone. Like, write at least an article per month (mandatory), comment on 50% of the sim threads, send your DC at least once per month (even if you want to stick with it).. Those things that will show you care about your team. THIS WOULD BE MANDATORY for guys to stick around in the league. Every GM that does not accomplish one goal loses X points (every goal can have a value) and GMs start the season with Y points. Once you hit zero, you're out. There's no way to receive points other than waiting for next season, you can only lose points as the season goes on. I think that every GM that actually cares about their team should lose no points here, but sometimes it may happen by accident, so I'd say we put like 3 points to be lost, or 5, and if anyone hits zero, he's out. That way, there would be zero complaining about "I've always been a great GM and it has happened only once" thing. I mean, who hits zero points, actually does not want to stick around, is showing that does not care about his team anymore, and don't deserve to stay, specially when commishs are working hard for everyone to have fun, and guys are not doing the basic things they can to give back to admin team.
Marcos_Beck (CHI)
Marcos_Beck (CHI)

Back to top Go down

Post by bt (SAC) Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:47 am

Marcos_Beck (OKC) wrote:5th - Re-starting the league:
I've read few times what Jamal has said and I agree with his comments. The most fun thing in this sim leagues is writing a long history. I mean, everyone knows that trying to beat OP's Heat at season two, after they were crowed as 1st CSL champions, was a real accomplishment, so everyone worked harder to make it happen. Nobody could do it, it shows how great of a system he had, but it brings more fun to the league. I'm not in favor of erasing league's History, but I won't lie that I hate the fact that the system is broken and any player with good HDL, great FGD / FGI / FGJ, and instructed to drive, will dominate the scoring boards, and almost every team with 10 10 10 10 10 10 philosophies is going to succeed. I mean, there's not even a chance to tweak philosophies even a bit, because the only one who really seems to work is that "high everything", and the most fun part here is outsmarting other GMs. I'm pretty sure that most of GMs will stick to the 10 10 10 10 10 10 philosophies even if they start to get beaten in PO's, as there don't seem to be a better philosophy.

If the only way to fix the system is by re-starting.. Well, I don't know. I see that there are very smart people here, and, sooner than later, somebody is going to find a way to break the system again, and there will be more discussion about issues, and all those things. But, I really HATE that issue (it can be because I don't have Harden / Lillard / Smart or any similar player to break the system too, or I refuse to play a 10 10 10 10 10 philosophy, I only know that I don't like it the way it is).. If the only way to tweak everything is by re-starting.. I'm going to stick around as long as there's no contraction. I've put a lot of work to re-shape my team since I joined the league, but F*** that, I love sim leagues and I'll put the same effort I did before to be the best I can.

This makes me wonder if the game is completely broken. That you can run these strategies and succeed no matter what. Let coaches handle strategies only so hiring the right coach for your teams make up becomes critical? Would take away from tinkering each sim but don't most NBA teams run the same sets most of the time anyway. Not chop and change like we all do?

Just a thought but if the game is fundamentally broken, it might be tough to rule out these succeeding strategies. Although I've never tested them myself. Maybe they would help me win some more, lol.

Myles (SAS) wrote:5. To respond to both emplep and bt, I understand your points of view with keeping the league going, but to be perfectly honest, the super unrealistic scoring sucked the drive out of myself and Dylan. Made it very hard to continue going especially since it wasn't even our roster to begin with, so it was just like throwing our hands up all the time at Gary. He made a great engine and he's been great in the past with roster files, he just really mailed this one in.

Just in regards to my comments, I forgot to mention that I'm am cool with whatever is decided by the league.
bt (SAC)
bt (SAC)

Back to top Go down

Post by Stockton12 (UTA) Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:53 am

Just my 2 cents on this issue I think it's better to have picks reset so everyone has there own picks otherwise some people might complain about an unfair pick advantage

Last edited by Stockton12 on Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Stockton12 (UTA)
Stockton12 (UTA)

Back to top Go down

Post by Myles (SAS) Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:02 am

I might be okay with the idea of using coach strategies, I mean, isn't that part of being a GM in real life? We can't really run the coaching from the office suites.
Myles (SAS)
Myles (SAS)

Back to top Go down

Post by Higrade (LAC) Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:08 am

@Marcos - I have no idea what this 10 everything philosophy is you're referring to. People use that and think it works ? I would never do something like that lol that's just flat out stupid. Since DDS1 days I've never used all 10s, that just doesn't make much sense ? In no way does that guarantee you to win a game...in fact it would probably lose more games.
Higrade (LAC)
Higrade (LAC)

Back to top Go down

Post by Higrade (LAC) Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:26 am

Myles (SAS) wrote:I might be okay with the idea of using coach strategies, I mean, isn't that part of being a GM in real life? We can't really run the coaching from the office suites.

I actually REALLY like this idea...a lot actually. It would make the coach hiring stage just as meaningful as free agency or the draft. Would force teams to change their style of play even and pursue coaches they want. Right now coaches are absolutely pointless since nobody uses them. I would definitely be in favor of it.
Higrade (LAC)
Higrade (LAC)

Back to top Go down

Post by Myles (SAS) Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:32 am

Coaches are also going to play a role moving forward in scouting, but I'm not going to say more about that yet until I am ready to announce the whole plan. Just know coaches will have a larger role.
Myles (SAS)
Myles (SAS)

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcos_Beck (CHI) Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:40 am

bt (TOR) wrote:
This makes me wonder if the game is completely broken. That you can run these strategies and succeed no matter what. Let coaches handle strategies only so hiring the right coach for your teams make up becomes critical? Would take away from tinkering each sim but don't most NBA teams run the same sets most of the time anyway. Not chop and change like we all do?

Just a thought but if the game is fundamentally broken, it might be tough to rule out these succeeding strategies. Although I've never tested them myself. Maybe they would help me win some more, lol.

I don't think the whole engine is broken, otherwise I'd be against a re-start. I agree to the fact that Gary has done a terrible job with ratings. I myself tried to edit ratings back at the time when I acquired PB3 but I couldn't (too complex, I downloaded a program that would allow me to tweak the database but it was too difficult I gave up).
I think we can fix current system if we give Myles and Dylan a chance of setting ratings, because the engine is great and just need the right ratings to work to perfection. That's why I voted for a re-start, otherwise I'd vote for continuing, and keeping history intact.

In my point of view, not every team in the NBA runs the same strategies. You see the Spurs, they have a completely different philosophy than the rest of the league, and the Heat too. Most of the teams tend to run with the same things but there are key differences that can only happen because X team has a mastermind Coach / some kind of different player that allows them to play at that system. You know, the Clippers NBA team is poised to run a fast-paced system with an athletic big like Blake and CP3, while Spurs or Bulls are made to succeed in the half court. Suns have a history of playing not that aggressive defense while playing at super high pace.. Thibs creates defensive sets that require high intensity and no zone, while Warriors prefer to play a match-up zone and keep Iggy on ball and Bogut down low, or the Blazers who plays with low intensity and try to contain penetration.

Let's just hope we can find success behind new, improved ratings, and that leads to a better league overall!
Marcos_Beck (CHI)
Marcos_Beck (CHI)

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcos_Beck (CHI) Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:44 am

Higrade (GSW) wrote:@Marcos - I have no idea what this 10 everything philosophy is you're referring to. People use that and think it works ? I would never do something like that lol that's just flat out stupid. Since DDS1 days I've never used all 10s, that just doesn't make much sense ? In no way does that guarantee you to win a game...in fact it would probably lose more games.

Dapralbe already explained it, and, of course, 10 everything is not true, but it's more like 4 or 5 10s and the rest does not matter.. high boards, high pace, high DI, high FCP, high zone, usually 4 or 5 out of those.. Clippers, Knicks, Portland and few others run this kind of strats, recently Brooklyn has begin using it and so far they've found LOTS of success even without a PG.
Marcos_Beck (CHI)
Marcos_Beck (CHI)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dqchen87 (CAVS) Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:55 am

I'm still a noob with the game so I can't offer much to the rating changes.
I recommend to keep the league at 30. That way it can still mirror the NBA's format and teams.
People come and go all the time. As long as the league is interesting, with a good rating system and a stable group of GMs, we will have people.
Dqchen87 (CAVS)
Dqchen87 (CAVS)

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcos_Beck (CHI) Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:00 am

Myles (SAS) wrote:I might be okay with the idea of using coach strategies, I mean, isn't that part of being a GM in real life? We can't really run the coaching from the office suites.

I'd hate this idea.
Real coaches can adjust to their philosophies on the fly during the season if things are not working well for them. We can do it too, setting strategies to every game.
What if we can only use coach strats? Well, there would be a waterfall of coach fires at every 3-4 losses. We'd be "fixed" and could not be able to change anything so the only way would be firing a coach and bringing another one with completely different philosophies to make your team work. I'm against it.
Marcos_Beck (CHI)
Marcos_Beck (CHI)

Back to top Go down

Post by bt (SAC) Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:23 am

Marcos_Beck (OKC) wrote:
bt (TOR) wrote:

I don't think the whole engine is broken, otherwise I'd be against a re-start. I agree to the fact that Gary has done a terrible job with ratings. I myself tried to edit ratings back at the time when I acquired PB3 but I couldn't (too complex, I downloaded a program that would allow me to tweak the database but it was too difficult I gave up).
I think we can fix current system if we give Myles and Dylan a chance of setting ratings, because the engine is great and just need the right ratings to work to perfection. That's why I voted for a re-start, otherwise I'd vote for continuing, and keeping history intact.

In my point of view, not every team in the NBA runs the same strategies. You see the Spurs, they have a completely different philosophy than the rest of the league, and the Heat too. Most of the teams tend to run with the same things but there are key differences that can only happen because X team has a mastermind Coach / some kind of different player that allows them to play at that system. You know, the Clippers NBA team is poised to run a fast-paced system with an athletic big like Blake and CP3, while Spurs or Bulls are made to succeed in the half court. Suns have a history of playing not that aggressive defense while playing at super high pace.. Thibs creates defensive sets that require high intensity and no zone, while Warriors prefer to play a match-up zone and keep Iggy on ball and Bogut down low, or the Blazers who plays with low intensity and try to contain penetration.

Let's just hope we can find success behind new, improved ratings, and that leads to a better league overall!

Nah, I didn't mean every team runs the same sets. I meant every team sticks to the sets they run most of the time. You know the Spurs are a half court team because that's how they play the majority of the time.
bt (SAC)
bt (SAC)

Back to top Go down

Post by bt (SAC) Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:25 am

Marcos_Beck (OKC) wrote:

I'd hate this idea.
Real coaches can adjust to their philosophies on the fly during the season if things are not working well for them. We can do it too, setting strategies to every game.
What if we can only use coach strats? Well, there would be a waterfall of coach fires at every 3-4 losses. We'd be "fixed" and could not be able to change anything so the only way would be firing a coach and bringing another one with completely different philosophies to make your team work. I'm against it.

That's the issue I guess but in all honesty, they adjust during games based on what they see and more than we can (pick and roll defense, trap, etc). We're limited to strategies they probably don't change a lot of the time (pace, rebounding, etc) plus we can only make game changes. Not on the fly changes.

Not saying it would work and not sure what my preference is to be honest but it's starting to sound like a pick your poison situation. Unrealistic 10's (if that actually works) or remove the option from GM's.
bt (SAC)
bt (SAC)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis (BOS) Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:52 am

Stockton12 wrote:Just my 2 cents on this issue I think it's better to have picks reset so everyone has there own picks otherwise some people might complain about an unfair pick advantage

If we restart with actual NBA rosters, every team should own the pick they own in reallife. Else it wouldnt make sense for me to keep managing the Celtics with all those bad contracts they have taken on in reallife if I wouldnt have the picks they received for it (for example the BKN trade)
Dennis (BOS)
Dennis (BOS)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis (BOS) Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:58 am

Marcos_Beck (OKC) wrote:

I'd hate this idea.

Dont like it either. Are we even able to see the strat a coach plays before we hired him?
Anyway in reallife it Happens coaches have to adjust their tactics because of the players they have.. They Couldnt do that here, so you would have to trade for players that fit coaches tactics. While its somehow realistisc as GMs have to do it in reallife too, I believe I prefer Building our own Type of teams. And not the Type of teams the coaches want.

Still Marcos is right. Jamal is running those strat too in the NLL as far as I remember and he is doing great too over there despite the players he has doesnt really it into that style of play. Anyway you always have to Pay with injuries with 10,10,10 tactics. So I believe its fair. Just look at the NLL all teams with 10,10,10 have major injuries. I know its the DDS2 Engine but look at Utah. He had a lot injuries too.
Dennis (BOS)
Dennis (BOS)

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcos_Beck (CHI) Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:09 am

Dennis (BOS) wrote:
Stockton12 wrote:Just my 2 cents on this issue I think it's better to have picks reset so everyone has there own picks otherwise some people might complain about an unfair pick advantage

If we restart with actual NBA rosters, every team should own the pick they own in reallife. Else it wouldnt make sense for me to keep managing the Celtics with all those bad contracts they have taken on in reallife if I wouldnt have the picks they received for it (for example the BKN trade)

Agree with Dennis here. Some NBA teams are aiming at a rebuild and are counting on the picks they have to do it. Would be unfair if they started CSL without those picks as their rebuilding projects would take much longer. Great teams like OKC Heat etc traded their picks to create a nice core. Won't be fair if they get every pick back and still stay with players they were able to get with trading those picks.
Good teams have already an advantage over bad ones, and giving everyone their picks back would only make this advantage bigger.
Marcos_Beck (CHI)
Marcos_Beck (CHI)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dennis (BOS) Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:47 am

Marcos_Beck (OKC) wrote:
Dennis (BOS) wrote:

Agree with Dennis here. Some NBA teams are aiming at a rebuild and are counting on the picks they have to do it. Would be unfair if they started CSL without those picks as their rebuilding projects would take much longer. Great teams like OKC Heat etc traded their picks to create a nice core. Won't be fair if they get every pick back and still stay with players they were able to get with trading those picks.
Good teams have already an advantage over bad ones, and giving everyone their picks back would only make this advantage bigger.

Yeah Celtics received 3 (or even Four? Believe on year is just a swap Option) first round picks from BKN to take on Wallace and Co. Phillys next years first in the 3way with Miami and Golden State and Clippers first next year if I remember right? So Celtics would have 5 (!) first picks less in the near Future and untradeable guys like humphries and Wallace on the books
Dennis (BOS)
Dennis (BOS)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next